Gain essential knowledge of disparate treatment, single-sex programs, and program equity.
While sexual harassment and sexual assault tend to dominate conversations about Title IX, this four-hour ATIXA workshop instead focuses on issues of sex discrimination critical to Title IX compliance, and that have become the subject of increasing complaints to OCR (at least 300) against colleges and universities.
ATIXA’s experts will lead a discussion about single-sex programs and disparate treatment. First, attendees will learn about disparate treatment on the basis on sex, including distinguishing disparate treatment from disparate impact and how to analyze, investigate, and resolve a disparate treatment complaint. Next, the discussion will center on single-sex programs, exploring which single-sex programs the Title IX regulations permit and how to implement them. Lastly, the course material will touch on scholarships and any Title IX dimensions that may apply.
Attendees will explore these topics in an engaging format that will provide approximately 90 minutes of content presented by an expert facilitator. Then participants will work on a set of case studies in small groups for 75 minutes. The workshop will conclude with all participants reconvening as a group to discuss each case study, share solutions, problem-solving techniques, and priorities, and receive feedback from the experts.
What makes this workshop valuable?
This course explores disparate treatment and disparate impact complaints, which present different challenges from other types of complaints, and questions related to single-sex programs and scholarships, which impacts departments like major gifts and alumni programs.
Do I need to complete any other training prior to attending this workshop?
This course has no prerequisites, but some foundational knowledge of Title IX may be helpful, as disparate treatment complaints typically involve a different resolution process than sexual harassment complaints.
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to…
- Describe the disparate treatment analysis and how to address and remedy disparate treatment complaints
- Explain academic scholarship inequity, how to audit scholarships, and ensure that the overall distribution of funds is compliant with Title IX
- Understand how disparate impact presents in educational and employment environments, including how to constructively address disparate impact issues
- Distinguish between when affirmative action may serve as a justification for single-sex programs and when it cannot
- Articulate when and how Title IX permits and prohibits single-sex programs and how to proactively assess programs to prevent compliance challenges
Who should attend?
- Title IX Coordinators
- Deputy Title IX Coordinators
- Title IX or Civil Rights Investigators
- Compliance and Risk Management Professionals (Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA/Section 504, AA, EEO, Clery)
- Legal Counsel
- Human Resources Professionals
- Student Conduct Professionals
- Student Affairs Administrators
- School Board Members
- Superintendents, Principals, & Assistant Principals
- Academic Administration & Deans
- Athletic Directors & Administrators
Please note, Workshops do not offer certifications or digital badges. Attendees will earn re-certifying credits toward any currently held Certifications. Please click here to view our Continuing Certification Credits (CCC) FAQs.
Live, Interactive Online Training
- $349 Member
- $399 Non-Member
Hide Details & Schedule
- September 8: 11:00am - 3:00pm ET Register
Effective July 1st, ATIXA training & event pricing will increase by approximately 5%. Please register early and often and note this will go into effect July 1st.
*You must attend all dates in your session to receive credit for attendance.
Group discounts are provided on a sliding scale based on group size and applicable on registrations for the same training or event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Individualized discounts are as follows:
1st grouped individual - full price of registration
2-4 grouped individuals - 15% discount on registrations
5+ grouped individuals - 25% discount on registrations
If you are interested in registering a large group, exploring Super Membership, or consulting options, please contact email@example.com for personalized assistance.