Explore the intricacies of the hearing chair role.
Title IX Hearing Chairs is a one-day course designed for individuals who will serve as a voting chair of a hearing panel/board and/or a single decision-maker. This course offers an in-depth look at pre-hearing procedures, exchanges of investigation materials, understanding the difference between relevant evidence and directly related evidence, assessing credibility, controlling questioning (with exercises), managing cross-examination, facilitating deliberation, and outcome rationale writing exercises.
This course should be taken in combination with the Hearing Officer and Decision-maker certification course for those who want to address substance (policy definitions and application) in addition to process.
I’ve taken the two-day Hearing Decision-Maker course. Should I take this course?
If you will serve as a voting chair of a hearing panel/board or a single decision-maker, yes. While there is some overlap between the two courses, the Hearing Chairs course focuses on the duties and responsibilities unique to the Hearing Chair role.
Can I take this course without having taken the two-day Hearing Decision-Maker course?
Yes, but if you aren’t familiar with the Title IX process or the 2020 regulations, we recommend that you take the two-day course first to get the most out of the Hearing Chairs course.
After completing this course, participants will be able to…
- Identify when they need to recuse themselves from a hearing or appeal review based on bias, a conflict of interest, or any other reason they cannot remain objective
- Facilitate a Pre-Hearing Meeting with the parties and/or their Advisors
- Explain the Title IX hearing process
- Distinguish between relevant and directly related evidence
- Determine whether cross-examination questions are relevant
- Assess the credibility of presented evidence
- Describe the different decision points in the deliberation process
Who Should Attend?
- Title IX Coordinators
- Deputy Title IX Coordinators
- Title IX or Civil Rights Investigators
- Hearing Facilitators
- Hearing Chairs
- Appeals Decision-makers
- Legal Counsel
- Student Conduct Professionals
Live, Interactive Online Training
- $799 Member
- $899 Non-Member
Hide Details & Schedule
- August 1: 11:00am - 6:00pm ET Register
Effective July 1st, ATIXA training & event pricing will increase by approximately 5%. Please register early and often and note this will go into effect July 1st.
*You must attend all dates in your session to receive credit for attendance.
Group discounts are provided on a sliding scale based on group size and applicable on registrations for the same training or event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Individualized discounts are as follows:
1st grouped individual - full price of registration
2-4 grouped individuals - 15% discount on registrations
5+ grouped individuals - 25% discount on registrations
If you are interested in registering a large group, exploring Super Membership, or consulting options, please contact email@example.com for personalized assistance.
- Attendance for each day of training or access to eTraining course for three months
- An extensive course-specific selection of articles, customizable forms and templates, case studies, videos, and more
- Instructional slides or transcript for eTraining
- Access to ATIXA content experts
- Ability to interact with faculty and attendees via course discussion and activities
- Certification upon corresponding course completion
This course is a great way for Chairs to get up to speed on their role under the 2020 Title IX regulations. Experienced chairs only need this course, whereas new chairs or decision-makers should combine this course with the Hearing Officer/Decision-Maker Certification, and would most logically take this as a one-day add-on course after that two-day experience.
To obtain certification from ATIXA, you will need to sign-in to your Event Lobby each day of training and attend the whole event. It is our expectation that you are present for the entire duration of your training course. Certification will only be provided once ATIXA has verified attendance through the Event Lobby.
Please allow 7-10 days following the completion of the course and then log in on our website and visit the My ATIXA page to access the Continuing Certification Credit (CCC) program system. Please follow the instructions on the webpage to obtain your certification. Our CCC program allows those certified by ATIXA to track, maintain, and extend their professional development through our programs.
PLEASE NOTE: Certification refers to attendance at a qualifying event; TNG cannot speak to individual attendees’ knowledge, expertise, or command of the material.