Run an Effective, Efficient, Fair, and Impartial Live Hearing
Live Hearings for Higher Education focuses on the skills needed to run an effective live hearing as part of the Title IX Formal Grievance Process or involving other types of civil rights complaints or misconduct. Topics include hearing preparation, pre-hearing meetings, facilitating questioning or cross-examination, and deliberation.
This training complements ATIXA’s Title IX Higher Education Decision-Maker course. It is relevant for all professionals serving as hearing chairs, panelists, single decision-makers, administrative hearing facilitators, and party advisors. For institutions offering a live hearing as part of their Formal Grievance Process, decision-makers should first enroll in the ATIXA Decision-Maker course.
- Hearing Participants & Logistics
- Chair Role and Responsibilities
- Preparing for the Hearing
- Finalizing a Witness List
- The Hearing Script
- Effective Listening Skills
- Questioning by Decision-Maker(s)
- Managing Questioning
- Communicating Outcomes
- Operational Challenges
- Recordkeeping and Documentation
Acquire the key skills to carefully plan for live hearing proceedings to protect the rights and safety of all parties without compromising fair procedure. Be confident that you can comply with the laws and regulations governing live hearings.
Please note this course has another that is held prior, Title IX Higher Education Decision-Maker. Upon checkout you will see the option to add this course to your registration for the full and complete course experience.
After completing this training, participants will be able to...
- Identify the steps of a Title IX grievance process that precede the decision-making phase and the hearing
- Facilitate a pre-hearing meeting with the parties and/or their Advisors, including setting an appropriate witness list
- Explain the Title IX hearing process
- Manage review and comment before and during the hearing
- Collaborate with co-panelists pre-hearing to prepare questions in advance (if applicable)
- Conduct the Title IX hearing process, including serving as the Chair (if applicable)
- Determine whether questions asked in a hearing are relevant
- Manage advisors while empowering their advisory role
Who Should Attend?
- Title IX Coordinators
- Deputy Title IX Coordinators
- Title IX or Civil Rights Investigators
- Hearing/Process Advisors
- Hearing Facilitators
- Hearing Chairpersons
- Appeal Decision-makers
- Attorneys Serving as Advisors
- Human Resources Professionals
- Student Conduct Professionals
- Legal Counsel
- Compliance and Risk Management Professionals (Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, ADA/Section 504, AA, EEO, Clery)
- Law Enforcement/Campus Safety/School Resource Officers
- Victim Advocates
- Student Affairs Administrators
Live, Interactive Online Training
- $845 Member
- $945 Non-Member
Hide Details & Schedule
- November 9: 11:00am - 6:00pm ET Register
*You must attend all dates in your session to receive credit for attendance.
Group discounts are provided on a sliding scale based on group size and applicable on registrations for the same training or event. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Individualized discounts are as follows:
1st grouped individual - full price of registration
2-4 grouped individuals - 15% discount on registrations
5+ grouped individuals - 25% discount on registrations
If you are interested in registering a large group, exploring Super Membership, or consulting options, please contact email@example.com for personalized assistance.
To obtain certification from ATIXA, you will need to sign-in to your Event Lobby each day of training and attend the whole event. It is our expectation that you are present for the entire duration of your training course. Certification will only be provided once ATIXA has verified attendance through the Event Lobby.
Please allow 7-10 days following the completion of the course and then log in on our website and visit the My ATIXA page to access the Continuing Certification Credit (CCC) program system. Please follow the instructions on the webpage to obtain your certification. Our CCC program allows those certified by ATIXA to track, maintain, and extend their professional development through our programs.
PLEASE NOTE: Certification refers to attendance at a qualifying event; TNG cannot speak to individual attendees’ knowledge, expertise, or command of the material.
- Attendance for each day of training or access to eTraining course for three months
- An extensive course-specific selection of articles, customizable forms and templates, case studies, videos, and more
- Instructional slides or transcript for eTraining
- Access to ATIXA content experts
- Ability to interact with faculty and attendees via course discussion and activities
- Certification upon corresponding course completion